Friday, May 20, 2016

"Fool's Paradise' (Part 3) {Short Story} By: Author Tanisha D. Davis

I knew I should have kept my mouth closed.
They say be honest with a person that you love and care about but I wonder just how much honesty should a person receive,

Malik was resting his hands on his hips and staring at the ground.

I got out of the car and walked towards Malik,

"Look you asked me to be honest so I did", I said while reaching for his arm.

Malik pulled his arm away from me and just stared at me.

"What kind of mess is that to tell a man and then expect him to digest his food well after". He asked.

"You asked what I did and I told you Malik, Is there any respect given for that?" I asked.
My eyes begin to water up and I knew it was partially a mixture of anger and hurt. Jared was the only guy that knew my secret and that is why I had developed a relation with him because I did not want anyone else to find out and be hurt by my past. Most of all I did not want anyone to be afraid of me.

 Not someone like Malik, I actually cared about Malik and here he was standing here as if I was America's Most Wanted.

"I'm not sure what to think right now because that's a pretty big issue for me". Malik said.
"You just don't tell somebody you killed someone and then we go on to act like it's just an everyday norm". He added.

"Well don't you want to at least know what happened?" I asked.

"Look I don't want to hear anything else about this until I can mentally handle what you just said." Malik headed towards the restaurant door.

I followed slowly behind him.

I could tell the night was going to be pretty sour after my little confession.

We ordered our food and Malik ordered a pitcher of they're top shelf alcohol.

I stared at him as he kept fidgeting with his hands and I could see a vein bulging on the side of his head. Sweat began to form on his forehead as he stared everywhere but at me.

"Look we can call it a night if you want to". I whispered to him.

The waitress returned with the pitcher and began to fill our glasses.

We thanked her and told her to give us some time while we looked over the menu.

Malik began to drink down his margarita as if it was water, spilling some on his silk white shirt.

"Damn!" he yelled out and grabbed a napkin and began rubbing at his shirt.

"Look Malik I'm sorry but I wanted to be honest with you". I said.

"Great!" I appreciate your honesty but again I still need some time to think about all of this". He mumbled while still avoiding eye contact with me.

He began to drink the rest of his margarita and then sat there staring at the empty glass. He let out a deep sigh and finally looked at me. His eyes no longer showing as much passion as they were when he had arrived at my house earlier. He appeared nervous and timid towards me.

"So what happened?" he asked me.

I looked around the room and took a few sips from my drink.

"I was involved in a relationship with a major drug dealer. He was very abusive towards me so one night I had enough of the beatings and I shot him in self defense". "At the time, he was pretty well known for making moves through the city and I had to find a way to make it look like he was robbed to protect myself". "Long story short, I had the help of a good lawyer and I walked free, rumors were that he was dead, so I relocated after my lawyer handled everything under the table for me.".

Malik stared at me and poured another glass as the waitress walked back up to take our order.

"So is everything okay now, as in nobody looking for you?" he asked while spilling some of the drink on the table.

I could tell he still was timid and I reached across the table to wipe up the spill.

"Nobody is looking for me". "I have managed to have a peaceful life so all is well now".

Our waitress returned with our food and we began to eat in silence.

In my mind I was praying that Malik would handle all of what I told him well. Even though I suspected this might be the end to our ordeal, some deep part of me wanted him to stay around because I needed his love. I was tired of Jared and I wanted someone that really cared about me and was not with me as some black male scheme.

***********************************************************

The ride home was quiet. Malik reached over and grabbed my hand.

"Look this just took me by surprise and it's going to take a while for me to digest the thought of you killing someone". "I know things happen in relationships but I just want you to know that I'm still going to be here for you if you need me". Malik never took his eyes off the road and squeezed my hand tighter.

I smiled and a warmth of comfort came slightly over me and I squeezed his hand back.

As we pulled up at my house. I leaned over and kissed Malik on the cheek. "Thanks for at least listening to me". I said softly.

"Just give me some time, okay". he asked.

I nodded and got out of the car. I watched Malik pull off and disappear around the corner. I looked at my phone and thankfully I had no missed calls or even a text message from Jared. I was pretty sure that my threat earlier today had spooked him which was perfectly fine with me. I searched my purse for my keys and headed up to my door.

The night and day had been full of enough drama between a man I despised and the one I loved.
I dropped my keys and leaned down to pick them up. What ever he had ordered that was top shelf had me feeling a little bit sluggish and off balance. I reached to unlock my door.

The door was slightly cracked.

I paused and looked around me in a quick panic to see if someone was parked near my house. The neighborhood looked quiet and empty except for the usual cars parked in their yards.

I quickly called Malik. His phone just rung and rung and then the voicemail picked up.

"You've reached Malik Howard, I'm not available so leave a message". (Beeeep)

"Malik please come back, This is Morgan and my door was cracked when I got here, Call me please when you get this message". I tried to dial him again but still no answer. I had left my gun in my nightstand and the only thing I had on me was my mace.

I held it tightly in my hand and walked slowly into the house pushing the door gently as to not make a noise.

I saw papers all over the floor and my lamps had been shattered in the living room.
Books had been tossed off my book shelf and lay open in piles on the floor next to the broken glass.

I eased slowly through the house. My heart was racing and I was trying to think at the same time of who could have done this. I made my way quietly pass the living room looking at every door for fear someone would jump out. I could hear nothing but silence and my heavy breathing as I walked through my house. I heard a loud thump and I ran to my bedroom to get my gun.

"I wouldn't do that if I was you Morgan". I heard a voice behind me say.

I stood frozen in my steps.

"This is a nice house you got here baby girl". The voice stated while laughing. "Who would have thought that you would go on to do so well for some little hood rat".

I turned around and I couldn't believe my eyes.

"Yea it's me baby girl". "Did you miss me because I sure as hell missed you?".

It couldn't be possible. There was no way this was possible.

"Oh I'm sorry, I got you speechless huh?". "I mean it has taken me forever to find out where you had ran off to". "But thanks to your little lawyer boyfriend, he spilled the tea for me in exchange for some money". He started laughing and sat on my bed. His fingers were rubbing my gun. "This a nice little piece you got here, was it the same one you used that night?".


I shot him.

I know I shot him. They said he was dead. I know I'm dreaming and this must have been one hell of a drink because there was no way he was here and alive!

I saw him laying their lifeless. I watched them take him out on a stretcher.

"I know you probably in shock baby girl". "I stayed in a coma for almost a year behind your little stunt. Everyone had said I was dead and I was on a breathing machine the entire time. Thankfully I had a good lawyer to keep my situation hidden from the world and even you. What bothered me the most was waking up to discover that my woman had tried to kill me and then had moved on with some big time lawyer to a whole nother' city with my money."

"Deon it was self defense and I was sick of you hitting on me". I stood there panicking while I watched him sit calmly on my bed rubbing my gun as if it gave him some type of pleasure.

"You know what, I hear everything you saying baby girl". "Sad thing about it all is they say love heals all wounds and well this scar on my chest just sadly has not healed." "Come here baby girl". He looked at me with an eery smile on his face.

Deon motioned for me to come sit next to him on the bed.

I squeezed my mace tightly in my hand and I was trying to think of making a quick run to the front door to scream for help.

"I'm asking you nicely baby girl". He stood up and motioned for me to come sit down on the bed.

"Deon please just let me go, I did what I had to do, so please just leave or let me go". I spoke while my voice began cracking up from the warm tears that had started to come down my cheeks.

Deon pointed the gun at me and then aimed it at the bed again.

I walked slowly towards the bed with tears now coming faster down my cheeks. I sat on the bed and kept pleading with him to just let me go.

He took the tip of the gun and placed it on my thigh and then rubbed it up towards my stomach.

"Deon please". I cried.

I yelled out as he hit me hard across my face with the gun. "Shut the hell up!". he yelled at me.
"Now look what you done made me do to you baby girl". "Messing up your pretty face and all because you don't know when to shut your mouth and obey".

I held my face as I felt blood start running down between my fingers.

He pushed me back on the bed. "So who you been sucking and giving my goodness away to all these years?". He asked staring at me with a creepy smile.
 It was a familiar smile that he always gave me each time he hit me, It was a rush of excitement for him to bring me pain and to see me helpless,

I just stared at him in fear and didn't respond.

"So you not going to say nothing huh?" He pinned me down to the bed and begin to force the pistol between my legs. I began to squirm and try to move away from him but he was pushing the pistol harder between my legs and I could feel the cold tip of the gun. I started screaming while asking him to stop.

"How does it feel to be this close to death baby girl?". "You wanted me dead and now its your turn to take a trip down memory lane, only this time you won't be waking up from no coma!".

"Please Deon!" "Please don't kill me. I'm sorry". I screamed as he pushed the gun further into me.

His eyes looked completely dark.

This was the end for me.

I was going to die a terrible death all because I was trying to protect myself.

I lost conscious and blacked out.






"Morgan!" "Morgan!" "Morgan!" you got to wake up baby".

I opened my eyes to see Malik over me shaking me.

I could hear sirens and the room felt like it was spinning.

"Malik, Oh Malik" I said while starting to cry again.

I began to look around the room and grabbed Malik's arm as I looked for Deon.

"What happened here", he asked.

"He was here". I started crying again. "He isn't dead Malik!".

"Who was here?" Malik asked.

"My ex, Deon was here and he wants to kill me". I began to look around my bed for the gun but it was gone.

Malik stared at me in shock and hugged me. "I walked in and found you passed out on the bed with stuff broken everywhere", I thought you were dead", he said while pulling me closer and kissing me.

One of the paramedic's walked in and began trying to clean my wound. Behind her a cop came in and started asking me questions about what had happened.

"He's alive". I said staring at Malik.

"Excuse me miss but who is alive?" the officer asked while pulling out a notepad.


"My ex". "My ex is alive". I kept mumbling.

"Look she still in shock so can you give her a minute before questioning her", Malik told the officer.

"He was here but I don't know where he went Malik", I said looking around the room.

"When I got here nobody was here Morgan". Malik responded while looking at me as if I had dreamed it all.

I wasn't crazy though.

Deon was here and he left me alive for some reason and I didn't plan to stick around to find out.













To be continued..........











































No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Stopping by the Blog! Make a donation by simply clicking an Ad!