Monday, May 23, 2016

"Fool's Paradise" (Part 4) {Short Story} By: Author Tanisha D. Davis

Malik held my hand as I gave my statement down at the precinct to the officer.

I gave a detailed description of Deon to the officer and told them I wanted to press charges against him. I had no idea where Deon had vanished to but I could only think that the neighbors calling the police is what ran him off. My screaming had alerted my neighbor and I was so grateful that she had intervened.

My next issue was with Jared.

The fact that he would stoop so low over a few dollars just to bring harm my way had me pissed.

He had no idea but I had plans for him. I told him not to mess with me and yet he allows my greatest fear to come knocking at my door.
We had ways back in the streets for handling snitches and I meant to make him feel my pain.

I shifted as my face started to throb from the stitches I had received at the hospital."Everything is going to be okay, I promise". Malik mentioned as he headed to one of the hotels just outside of the city. I could barely open my mouth from the swelling to respond so I just grabbed his hand. Tears started to fall down my face again as I remembered the cold tip of the pistol inside of me. I shifted in my seat and just started crying again.

"It's going to be okay Morgan, I'm not leaving your side the rest of the weekend". He reached up and softly tried to wipe tears from my swollen face. I wasn't a bad person. I never asked for this lifestyle but hard times just make you do desperate things. I was a troubled teenager when I met Deon and he took me in and showed me a life that I never could imagine existed. We would go shopping and he would buy me whatever I wanted. The good life is what he would always called it. We had the latest cars and lived like we were royalty.

Then he started drinking heavily and snorting powder. The drugs started bringing out a different side of Deon. That side meant many nights of busted lips and tons of make up to try to hide the bruises from my friends and his.

The beatings got worse as the years went by and I was just tired of trying to cover it all up, I was tired of living in fear of him. So when he came home high and started beating me because I let his food get cold, I knew then that I had enough of it.

I was only trying to scare him, but he ran at me and my finger slipped and there he laid down on the bedroom floor holding his chest as blood rushed through his hands and began to soak the carpet. I remember his face staring back at me and then he was silent.

It was all over for me until now. Deon was back and I had to figure out how to protect myself from him.

Suddenly I felt like that young girl all over again who was afraid that Deon would come home to beat her. Only this time he wanted to do more than beat me. He wanted me dead.

Why did he let me live? He could have easily shot me and ran. There was more to this but my face and head hurt to much to try to figure it all out in one night.

We pulled up at the Marriott Hotel and Malik helped me out of the car. I stared at him. He was so concerned about me. I was nobody and he deserved better than me. He didn't need a troubled woman in his life. He should have just found another girl at the office to talk to because I was nobody special.

The two women at the front desk stared at me as Malik helped me over to one of the lounge chairs while he checked us into a room.

I could see them looking back and forth at each other as they tried to figure out why my face was swollen and bandaged. I knew they were thinking Malik had probably beat me. I was used to those stares and knew them well.

"Stare at me any harder and I might just break" I yelled at them and then quickly grabbed my face as a shot of pain went through my face. Malik looked back at me and began to apologize to them. The two ladies stopped staring and started mumbling back and forth.

"Come on Morgan, don't worry about what people think" he said while helping me up. "I'll help you to the room and then go grab our bags out the car okay?" he assured me.

I nodded even though I really didn't want to be left alone anywhere for a minute or more. I had no idea where Deon was and the fact he was still out there with the idea of harming me had me on edge. I had to get him before he got me.


I waited on the edge of my bed until Malik returned to the room with our bags. Seeing him just made me feel safer. He turned on the shower and helped remove my shoes. I jumped as he hand brushed my thigh sending a cold image back my way of the gun pressing against it. "I'm sorry" Malik said.

"I just feel so bad". "I didn't have my phone on when you called and he could have killed you". Malik said while rubbing my hand. "I should have been there for you".

"It's not your fault Malik". "It's my past that I have to deal with". I mumbled.

"Jared told him where I lived". I stated.

"That lawyer dude?" Malik asked standing up.

"Yea he sold me out for some cash". I replied.

Malik hit the wall. "Oh I plan to pay him a visit then".

"No Malik this is my problem and I will deal with Jared, I don't want you involved in this at all".

"I knew he was a two piece wearing buster from the jump but nah you was to blind to see that". Malik stated while pointing at me.

"Look I didn't know how deep of a snake he was at the time, and I don't need you reminding me of my poor choice in men". I yelled back. Pain hit my face again and I tried to calm down.

"Poor choice in men huh?" "So am I one of your poor choices? he asked while looking at me as if I really needed more excitement for the night.

"I never said you were Malik and I would appreciate it if I could go enjoy the shower before it turns cold". I said softly.

Malik walked over to help me up and then apologized for sounding edgy. "Look I'm just upset about all of this happening to you and at the same time I'm trying to figure out what the next move is", Malik stated.

"Malik I really don't need you involved in this, I will figure out something but for tonight I just need to rest". I mentioned while shutting the bathroom door.

The hot water from the shower felt good against my body which was now sore all over. I started crying again. I felt so weak under the hand of  Deon. I didn't like feeling weak to no man. I had grown beyond Deon and the many years of fear he had caused me. It was time to rise up and show him that I was not afraid of him anymore.

I also planned to teach Jared a really good lesson, but for tonight I planned to rest. Tomorrow was a new day and I needed some time to heal and think.

It was time to make Deon vanish for real this time and I intended to be at the burial site to be sure I saw his body go six feet down.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Stopping by the Blog! Make a donation by simply clicking an Ad!