Tuesday, May 10, 2016

How I Found My Father After 28 Years of Searching!

Everyone is out to find that missing piece in their life.

They search in more ways than one to find it.

My missing piece was the search for my father.

My mom had spent a little time living in the city of Watts located in California. That's where she met my father at the age of 15. Because of some family issues she relocated back to Mobile, Alabama while pregnant with me. My parents lost touch with each other and all my mom was able to give me was his name and the area he was from in California.

Once I got older, I constantly visited the library and searched the phone books they had for the state of California. I would randomly call and ask for his name and check to see if the male on the other end was looking for a daughter.

After many failed attempts I was on the verge of giving up. I would pray everyday that before I left this earth that God would let me please meet my father before he or I died. In the summer of 2012 at the age of 28,  I decided to not give up on my search. I was determined to find my father. I was determined to fill that void that was within me. I wanted to know where I came from and who I looked like the most out of my parents. I wanted to find out where my personality came from.

My father had experienced some bad run ins with the law and even had been involved in some gang activity growing up so that information led me to search the California Correctional Facility for his name. My mother had told me that he would be in his early 40s so to my surprise, two names pulled up but only one was in his early 40s.

I took a deep breath and called the facility to get the information to write him.

Weeks went by and one day there was a letter in the mail addressed to me from a man with my father's name. The envelope was thick and I ran into my apartment to sit down and brace myself. I opened the letter and began to cry as the man in the letter stated how long he had been searching for me but did not know where I was or what my name was. I began to thank God and read the letter as he gave me information about other relatives in California. I began contacting them and telling them who I was and too my surprise they too had always heard he had a daughter but just never knew how true it was or even where I was because my father was so young when my mom conceived me.

Me and my father have been in touch every day and we still have not had the chance to meet in person. He was released from prison last year and at the moment I'm working on a way for us to finally meet.

I did have the pleasure of meeting some of my family in California for my birthday one year and I also found out that I had two other younger siblings on my dad's side.

Seeing pictures of my dad and talking to him helped to fill that void because we look so much alike and we sound alike. This experience was yet another life goal for me to achieve and soon we will get to finally meet in person!



Below is a younger picture of my father and me at the bottom. See the resemblance?

I will continue this story the day we have the joy of meeting face to face!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Stopping by the Blog! Make a donation by simply clicking an Ad!