Saturday, November 14, 2015

Patti Labelle's Pie Recieving Negative Reviews??

The Internet has gone viral about the sweet potato pie released by the lovely singer, Patti Labelle. A video even went viral about a guy, James Wright Chandler, who uploaded a video on youtube of him enjoying the pie while hitting high notes from some of Patti's hit songs.

Word was spreading in Facebook groups and across my timeline about how good the pie was so of course I ran out and sampled this pie myself. The pie is only like three dollars at Walmart and all I can say was this pie was delicious! I'm not a fan of box pies but this pie reminded me of something homemade.

In the midst of all the wonderful reviews about the pie, I noticed some negative feedback going on across social media from a few African American people. This was a bit shocking to me.

We as black people will go out and faithfully support, Martha Stewart with her cookbooks and premade cake mixes or even go support Betty Crocker and Jiffy cornbread mix which is by Chelsea Milling Company where the owner is Howdy Holmes; all white entrepreneurs.
Yet finally somebody of African American decent releases a great box pie and suddenly "our people" are negative. I saw comments stating how people said it was nasty, I can wait until Thanksgiving, my mom pie is better or my pie is better and even some saying I'm not rushing out to get it.

You may know people with a good pie, heck there is always somebody who makes something way better but why is it such a bad thing to support her like we support every other race. We go and faithfully support by purchasing Chinese food, Mexican food, Italian food and more. Shoot half of the gas stations are even owned by foreigners but this lady, a black woman makes a pie and suddenly you to high and mighty to support that?! I even saw an ignorant post about how Patti doesn't make the pies and I almost fell to the floor laughing. She gives the recipe and the use of machines make multiple productions of it to distribute people, so I'm sure she is not slaving over a hot stove to make a million pies.

And unlike those high priced Jordans you all support or Michael Kor's  purses, the pie is only three dollars!

It was the best investment I made and my mouth was happy. So for all those who won't buy the pie for some hypocritical reason, who gives a care?!

The pie was good and I'm glad to see a black woman in the light of the media for more than just singing or twerking like most of the videos I see.

I for one would love to see the media go more viral about black people doing something amazing that doesn't always relate to sports or violence.

Great job Patti Labelle on the pie and I hope your shine opens the door for more Black women to be able to showcase their goodness when it comes to baking and cooking!

7 comments:

  1. YOU GO PATTI! SELL THEM PIES AND WHATEVER ELSE - YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT. NOW IF WALMART WOULD JUST BE ABLE TO RESTOCK ON THE WEST SIDE OF CHICAGO I'D BE GOLDEN. BE A BLESSING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can cheesecake be next Patti? I don't eat sweet potatoes but I'll faithfully wait for a cheesecake release

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walmart in Helena,Alabama was out most of the day!!! Sold over 300 pies today. People still been calling tonight!!! Ms Patti I love you! I support you! I brought 8 pies within this week! Three were fir the house.... and 5 I bought just driving around and letting family and friends sample. I excited and can't wait until another product of your hit the market! (((HUGS LADY)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most things we buy aren't like homemade or like mama/grandma made, but if it's good I will be a repeat buyer. I agree we need to be more supportive and less critical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pie was Good and I will continue to buy them. I agree we will go support other race but put down our own race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am happy for you Patti Labelle. People are hating because they were not made a star sell overnigtht.Shine, Shine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Stopping by the Blog! Make a donation by simply clicking an Ad!