Sunday, April 19, 2015

Drawing the Line Between Gospel & Worldly Music

So Im riding in my vehicle and enjoying the usual sounds of gospel and worship music flowing through my radio on the way to work when I suddenly here the new single, "I Luh God" by member Erica Campbell of the gospel singing group Mary Mary. Now I enjoy a lot of music and I listen to many genre's of music but this had my face twisted in all forms of confusion because it sounded like something that should have been played in the night club rather than on a Sunday morning. I do believe that if you are going to use the name of God as the source behind your music then at least bring forth a sound that reflects him in your music. I have always been a fan of the group's music and I must say I was dissapointed at the use of slang and some male in the background sounding like he was putting sound effects on an album probably meant for a hood rapper rather than a woman of God.
She might as well have song for the world rather than did this single.

What is gospel?

Gospel is the teaching of the death, burial and ressurection of Jesus Christ. So with gospel music, it should be a representation of Christ. I should feel a move of God in my spirit when I hear it, I should feel as if God himself was in the midst coming through every word and melody played out to me from my car speakers.
Yet this song....I felt as if Erica was dropping the hottest rap album ever rather than a gospel track.
The bible teaches us to set aside a difference between us and the world.
How can we as follwers of Christ lead a dying world to Christ if we are mingling with them and singing tunes to impress them rather than impress God.
Is this what The Gospel of Jesus Christ has come to? Is this what worship has become?
I admire she is trying to bring a new sound but sometimes a new sound can be done without creating music that sounds too much like the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Stopping by the Blog! Make a donation by simply clicking an Ad!